Based on a recommendation from someone I met today, I traversed the streets of the Old Quarter into another area cursing the fact that I can no longer read a map at night without glasses – This is new to me and it can only be described as extremely frustrating! After a longer then intended walk I arrived on Phan Boi Chau (Street) and shortly thereafter in front of a crowded restaurant called Quan An Ngon. The clientele was an interesting mix of local, business people, backpacker and me. I sat at would we would think of as a kids size picnic table across from an older couple old from England, a bit stuffy at first and not at all that talkative. I continued to work on my reserved English dining friends and by the end of dinner they were quit friendly and actually trying some of the things I ordered off my plate and taking pictured of what I was eating to help me gross out Maggie! For dinner I had:
- Pho Cuon – Noodle role with Beef and vegetables
- Bi Cuon – Pickled Pigs Ear and vegetables dipped in seasoning in a roll
- Goi Cuon – Fresh Rice Paper Roll with shrimp and pork
- Tom Chien Mam Xa Ot – Fried Shrimp (whole – heads and all) with lemongrass and chili’s
- Dui Ech Chien Gion – Deep fried Frogs Legs (check out the feet / toenails in the picture)
- Chim Se – Sparrows – This was actually the best item on the menu (now I know what happen to Louie
After dinner I jumped on the back of a motorbike and made my way to the lake area and found a bar to blog before heading back to the hotel for the night.